Students can be admitted to Walla Walla Community College without submitting proof of English language proficiency. Students will take an English language placement test on the first day of orientation and will be placed in our Intensive English Language Program (IELP) or college-level program accordingly.

In order to begin college-level courses or high school completion directly, students must demonstrate proficiency in English, by meeting one of the following conditions:

  • International TOEFL score of 61 (iBT) /173 (CBT) /500 (PBT) or higher.
  • Successful completion of Walla Walla Community College IELP Level 5 classes. A TOEFL score is not required.
  • IELTS of 6.0 or higher with no band lower than 5.0.
  • Sufficient academic standing at an accredited U.S. college or university where English is the language of instruction.

All college-level students must take a placement test to determine placement in college academic classes. To help students prepare for the test, a free study-app ACCUPLACER is available:

Other Tests

  • Academic placement on the Walla Walla Community College Intensive English Program (IELP) Placement Test. Students whose oral and written scores on the Walla Walla Community College Placement Test indicate academic-level proficiency can go directly into college classes.
  • Successful completion of all Walla Walla Community College Intensive English Language Program (Level 5) classes.
  • IELTS of 6.0
  • Official SAT Score of not lower than English Language Arts 510
  • ITEP score of 4 or higher with no subject area score below 4.
  • GTAC: CBT 1050 or higher
  • Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE) O level passing score in English
  • A score of “C” or better in acquiring the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
  • A score of “C” or better in acquiring the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE).
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) of no lower than 46
  • STEP/EIKEN score of Grade Pre-1 or better
  • International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) English (not ESL score of C or higher

Language School Tests

Completion of the appropriate level or achievement of appropriate exam score at these schools:

  • ELS Language Schools: Level 109; ELS administered Institutional TOEFL score of 500.
  • EF: Completed level B2-3
  • Eurocentres Canada (Vancouver, Toronto) and San Diego – Scale of Proficiency Level 6
  • FLS – Level 14
  • Kaplan International English Programs – Advanced Level Completion Letter
  • Embassy CES – Intermediate Level
  • Graduates of other ESL schools: Please inquire if we can accept this as proof of English proficiency.

Secondary Education

  • Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or the United Kingdom: Official high school completion diploma from accredited institutions or satisfactory scores in national certificate examinations indicating a passing score in English.
  • Nigeria: Completion of Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) with a score in English of C6 or higher.
  • For those who attended U.S. high schools: one year of high school level English/language arts with grades of B or better; U.S. high school attendance must be within two years of the start date at Pierce College.
  • Nordic institutions: Gymnasium scores of “VG” or “MVG”.
  • Singapore: At least 4 O level or 5 N level passes.
  • Graduates of English-language high schools in other countries, please inquire if we can accept your graduation as proof of English proficiency.

English Waivers

There are several ways to waive the English language requirement for admission to Walla Walla Community College

  • Waiver Option A – If you have attended a U.S. high school or an international high school that is regionally accredited in the United States for two or more years.
  • Waiver Option B – If you have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, have completed the transferable equivalents of WWCC’s English 101 with a 2.5 grade point average for each course at the time of application.
  • Waiver Option C – If you are a citizen from one of the following countries: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, British Guyana, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Liberia, New Zealand, Rwanda, Trinidad and Tobago, or Zambia (provide proof of citizenship to have waiver applied).
  • Waiver Option D – You were schooled outside the United States at a school where the language of instruction was English (provide an official letter from the school stating English was the language of instruction while you attended).